Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hearty ground turkey and vegetable soup

We are now in the deep dark depths of winter, the Christmas celebrations behind us, long nights, short days, drab gray weather, and the summer far in the future.  It really is my least favourite time of year, if it wasn't for my birthday this month, I am not sure how I would make it through.

The drab view from my house in early January
It is also one of my busiest months of the year at work and therefore I have been working long days, leaving in the dark and getting home long after the sun has set, really not feeling like doing much cooking.  In an effort to not breakdown and buy take out, I made a large batch of hearty warming soup that I can heat up quickly when I get home.

View in my kitchen in early January

1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 onion chopped
1lb of ground turkey (you could use ground beef instead)
1 yellow pepper chopped
1 green pepper chopped
3 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
2 cups of tomato puree (or a can of tomatoes)
4 cups of chicken stock.
4 carrots sliced in thick slices
2 medium potatoes cut up or equivalent in fingerling or small.

Add  the cut up onion, olive and ground meat to a large pot. If I was using ground beef, I would not have added olive oil, but the ground turkey is so lean that it needs it.



Stirring constantly cook until the meat has lost it's pink and looks cooked then add the chopped pepper, and spices.



Now add the carrots, stock and tomatoes.  I can not tell you what a pleasure it is to open the tomatoes that I canned back in the long hot days of summer and add that flavour to my cold dark winter.


Simmer for about 1/2 an hour until the carrots are cooked, then add the potatoes.  I had some lovely little fingerling potatoes so that is what I used, and just cut them into slices.


Simmer for a further 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.  If I had had some cilantro I would have added some at this point, but as I didn't I couldn't


This truly filled the bill, it is hearty warming and you can taste the sun in those tomatoes. I have enough for lunch on Sunday and for a couple of dinners this week along with some good bread and maybe a green salad.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gillian! Sarah and Julie (Elliot) here, searching all sorts of food blogs on the web, and mom remembered you telling her about yours last summer. We're going to try the soup. We even have canned tomatoes from our garden and fingerling potatoes.

    ReplyDelete