Saturday, February 22, 2014

Date and proscuitto appetizer

I had the good fortune to spend the weekend at Whistler at my friends place right on the ski hill. This is a little wasted on me as I do not ski, but I can provide food for the more adventurous amongst us, and I have learned that it is critical to have a cold beer and a nibble for everyone as they come down off the slopes.



We had heavy snow that day, this was the view from my window in the morning.


And this was the view when I was waiting for my hungry skiers to come in from the snow.


One of my friends had left the ingredients and instructions for these appetizers, someone in her family had made these and she had thought that they would be a great apres ski nibble. These are quite rich and so though they are small probably 2 per person would be enough.



12 medjool dates
1/3 cup of goat cheese
12 large basil leaves
6 slices of prosciutto cut in half lengthwise

First take the stones out of the dates and replace with goat cheese.


Wrap each date in a basil leaf.


Then wrap in prosciutto


Place all the dates on a cookie sheet or in this case a pizza pan



These just have to be heated up in a hot oven for 3 or 4 minutes no more.  Sadly our apres ski drink and nibbles were severely delayed due to a collision on the mountain which ended up with a trip down the mountain on a sled and a couple of hours in the clinic to diagnose 3 broken ribs! So the after ski beer and appetizer became a after hospital drink and appetizer.


Never the less these were very good, full of flavour and quick to make, they did not suffer from being abandoned for a few hours to rescue injured friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment