Monday, November 11, 2013

Chicken Tortilla soup

I am always inspired to try cooking dishes of the country that I have just visited, and so at the moment I am exploring the cooking of Mexico.  I did not have this dish in Mexico, but I have had it before and a love the clean bright flavours.  I found this recipe at Melissaguerra Latin kitchen Market. Though of course I have changed it a little.




4 dried  chilies
4 tomatoes or equivalent small ones
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
8 cups of chicken broth
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
Juice of 4 limes

In a small saucepan, boil chilies until they are softened.



When soft and cool, remove stem, seeds, and veins. Place chilies in a blender/food processor container, along with tomatoes, onion, garlic, and about 1 cup of chicken broth (enough to facilitate blending). Puree well.

Puree well.





In a large stock pot, heat remaining chicken broth, and add in chili puree. Salt to taste, and add cilantro and the lime juice. Simmer for about 30 minutes.


Toppings

12 - 20 tortillas, cut into thin strips
Oil
1 cup  Queso Fresco or mild Feta cheese, crumbled
1 avocado chopped and tossed in lime juice
1 cup sour cream, thinned with a little milk
Chopped cilantro


Fry tortilla strips in oil, until crispy. I fried mine in a wok, and that seemed to work very well.





Serve soup in individual bowls, or in a large tureen. Serve all toppings and tortilla strips in separate dishes, so that each person can garnish their soup to their liking.


I had made my own chicken stock, so added chicken pieces as well.  This soup was a big hit at the Mexican themed pot luck that I went to, and is definitely a soup that I will make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment