Saturday, October 8, 2011

Roasted potatoes and Brussels sprouts

Roasting vegetables that are usually steamed or boiled seems to be every where these days and for good reason.  Asparagus, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts all seem to improve with a little caramelising.  Brussels sprouts are actually in my opinion the king of the green vegetable kingdom, and I would eat them much more often if it was up to me.  I am afraid the rest of my family does not necessarily agree, they are willing to put up with them with a Sunday roast but that is about it.


But with my husband and father in Chicago for a few days I find my self on my own for dinners, so I can cook what ever I want.  This will often be eggplant or liver but it is the season of the Brussels sprout and I had one last potato from my garden to eat so I decided to roast them together.

This could hardly be called a recipe really just a suggestion.  Toss Brussels sprouts and chopped potato together with a little olive oil and some salt . I used about 2/3 sprouts to 1/3 potato.


The potatoes need to be cut quite small so that the sprouts do not get over cooked before the potatoes are ready.



Throw the whole lot in to a 400 oven for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and sprouts are nicely brown around the edges.


This would make a great side dish to go along with your turkey dinner or any roast for that matter, but it made a great one dish vegetarian meal eaten on the couch in front of the X factor.  


No comments:

Post a Comment