Saturday, August 20, 2011

Green beans and potatoes cooked in fresh tomato sauce

Somebody at work recently gave me some green beans fresh from her Aunts garden, what a treat. I was reminded of dish that I had seen on a Jamie Oliver show once, where he cooked green beans in a fresh tomato sauce both grown in his garden.


Not only did I have these wonderful fresh green beans, but I also had a few potatoes that I dug out of my very own garden! So I decided to add those and make myself a vegetarian one pot meal.

Dinner for one, or a side dish for two.

2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes
2 cups of chopped fresh tomatoes
A small bunch of fresh basil
4 small new potatoes
2 hand fulls of green beans



Add the olive oil to a large non stick frying pan, add the garlic and cook until the garlic is starting turn golden,


Add the hot pepper flakes then add the tomatoes and basil stir into the garlic olive oil.


Cook until the tomatoes are starting to break down, then add the potatoes cut in to even sized pieces.


Put on a lid and cook until the potatoes are nearly cooked, then add the green beans.


Put a lid on again and cook until the green beans and potatoes are both cooked through.  For this dish the beans need to be thoroughly cooked through, not crisp and not soggy and over cooked.


I had this for dinner just by itself and all the beautiful fresh vegetables shone through and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I have made this before with just green beans and it makes a great side dish with a grilled meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment